“It just doesn’t make sense to treat patients for skin and nail infections, then watch them put on fungus-filled footwear” – Leading DPM at Pedifix
As most of us may already know, cold allergy and flu season are back but we are not left defenseless. Although flu symptoms can cause a world of misery, from fever and cough to sore throat, nasal congestion, aches, and chills. But there are ways to feel better.
By testing for the flu we can better remedy the symptoms associated and quickly battle the viruses.
Stock up while you can – we are offering Sekisui Diagnostic’s Ultra Flu Tests buy 4 get 1 free! Shop here for yours.
In the meantime, here are some at home flu symptom remedies from WebMD.
2. Sip some soup. For generations, caring parents have been serving chicken soup to kids with colds and flu. But was mom right? Possibly. A study published in the journal Chest showed that chicken soup may help with symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections like the flu.
3. Be a couch potato. Listen to your body. If it’s telling you not to exercise, don’t. If it’s urging you to spend all day in bed, do. Don’t press on with daily chores even in the face of severe cold or flu symptoms. Rest is “another way of supporting the body’s ability to fight infection,” Blackwelder says. And don’t skimp on nighttime sleep. “Good sleep cycles help the immune system work well, so it’s important to get your full eight hours of sleep each night,” Schaffner says.
5. Make a tent. Need a quick way to open clogged airways? Bring a pot of water to a boil and remove it from the heat. Drape a towel over your head, close your eyes, and lean over the water under the “tent,” breathing deeply through your nose for 30 seconds. David Kiefer, MD, clinical instructor of family medicine at the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle, recommends adding a drop or two of peppermint or eucalyptus oil to the water for extra phlegm-busting power. Repeat this as often as necessary to ease congestion.
6. Try a warm compress. On the forehead and nose, a warm cloth is a great way to relieve headache or sinus pain.
National Diabetes Month is observed every November so individuals, health care professionals, organizations, and communities across the country can bring attention to diabetes and its impact on millions of Americans.
The following information and tips have been provided by the NIH – National Institue of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases – to help raise awareness, prevention strategies and help those with diabetes manage on a daily basis.
Diabetes is one of the leading causes of disability and death in the United States. It can cause blindness, nerve damage, kidney disease, and other health problems if it’s not controlled.
One in 11 Americans have diabetes — that’s more than 29 million people. And another 86 million adults in the United States are at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
The good news? People who are at high risk for type 2 diabetes can lower their risk by more than half if they make healthy changes. These changes include: eating healthy, increasing physical activity, and losing weight.
This year, the National Diabetes Education Program’s theme is: Managing Diabetes – It’s Not Easy, But It’s Worth It. This highlights the importance of managing diabetes to prevent diabetes-related health problems such as heart attack, stroke, kidney disease, vision loss, and amputation. The theme also serves as a reminder to people who may be struggling with the demands of managing diabetes that they are not alone.
4 Steps to Manage Your Diabetes for Life
- Step 1: Learn about diabetes.
- Step 2: Know your diabetes ABCs
- Step 3: Learn how to live with diabetes
- Step 4: Get routine care to stay healthy
- Things to remember
- My Diabetes Care Record
Wishing a Happy Veteran’s Day to everyone who has served or is currently serving this country in the military. Thank You! #VeteransDay
Are you feeling sluggish during your workout? Janet Hamilton, an exercise physiologist with Running Strong in Atlanta, was interviewed and explained more about why people start to feel sluggish during their workout. She identified nine possible reason.
- You’re stressed/not getting enough sleep – working out stresses your body and stress is cumulative. If you’re having trouble keeping up, think about how your life has been lately: do you have a big project due at work? Are you getting enough sleep each night? Tracking sleep and stressors along with bad workouts may give you the data you need to figure out if stress is affecting your workout.
- You have allergies or asthma – your body needs oxygen so if allergies or asthma is affecting your ability to get oxygen into your body, it’s going to affect your ability to workout. If you experience coughing, wheezing, a tight chest, or shortness of breath during or immediately after cooling down you should see your primary healthcare physician.
- Your pH drops – your body converts carbs into fuel during high-intensity exercise. The byproducts of this conversion are small hydrogen ions. The longer you keep up a high-intensity exercise the more they build up in your system. Eventually your body’s pH levels drop and become more acidic. When your body becomes more acidic, everything slows down making your muscles less efficient. There is a plus side: the more fit you get, the better your body gets at getting rid of the hydrogen ions.
- You’re not giving yourself enough rest time – it drives most fitness fanatics insane, but your body needs time to rest. If you feel tired after every workout it’s going to catch up to you. Give yourself two recovery days per week as well as a couple of lighter workouts.
- You’re anemic – anemia is when your blood has too few oxygen-carrying red blood cells and limits the amount of oxygen your body’s cells can receive (see point 2 for the importance of oxygen).
- Dehydration – just like oxygen, water is important for your body’s ability to function. Your blood becomes thicker when you’re dehydrated which makes it harder for your heart to pump and get blood where it needs to go. If you sweat a lot you’re losing water and electrolytes, which are essential for your muscle cell’s ability to talk to each other and power your workouts. Make sure you’re adequately hydrated during your workouts.
- Thyroid issues – if you’re often fatigued not just while working out and can’t seem to find another cause it may be time to speak to your doctor and rule out thyroid issues.
- You’re not eating enough carbs – yes, you read that right. If you’re looking to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you’re taking in to lose fat. In order to be able to burn calories, you need to be properly fueled and ready to work. Carbs are your body’s fuel source. Try increasing your calorie and carb intake to boost your energy levels.
- Your glycogen is 000 – people with blood sugar conditions or who are on low-carb diets may experience low blood-sugar levels from time to time. For the rest of us, a lack of energy could be due to low glycogen levels. Glycogen is your body’s form of stored carbs. The glycogen in your muscles is usually used first when you’re working out, but when that source is used up your body turns to the glycogen stored in your liver to fuel the workout. The only way to increase your glycogen levels are to eat more carbs. Sports drinks and energy blocks are easy, fast ways to kick those levels up.
Read the full article here
UPS Successfully delivered medical supplies by drone to an island off the Atlantic coast.
This breakthrough in shipping leads to new ways to treat patients all over the world. On September 22, 2016 UPS delivered a drone of a child’s inhaler to an island off the Atlantic coast known as Children’s Island.
April Glaser with Recode wrote extensively about this mission and UPS’s backing – to see more details, click here.
By using drones we allow many more patients to seek the medical attention and supplies they need. UPS is currently working on a project to deliver supplies to Rwanda which is said to launch this October. With advancements as such we could potentially see a revolution in the medical industry like no other.
Keep your eyes peeled for more details to come as UPS continues to test drone delivery; maybe one day we will see packages from 4MD Medical delivered by drone to our customers.
Are you or your kids scared of needles? If so, there is no longer anything to fear! This is because IceShot is the #1 pre-injection numbing device on the market. That’s right. IceShot is a small handheld device, but it sure does pack a punch since it has been designed to deliver a freezing burst that almost immediately numbs. It’s safe, easy to use and reusable. Check out just 5 of the many ways you can use this icy device in your daily life.
- Insulin Injections – Almost 30 million Americans are currently living with diabetes and about ¼ of them use insulin to treat their condition. IceShot helps these individuals administer insulin in a less painful way by numbing the injection zone.
- Fertility Treatments – The number of women using IVF to achieve their dream of becoming mothers is on the rise with the passing of each year, and these moms-to-be know just how helpful IceShot is. This numbing device relieves some of the pain associated with self-administering the injections required for the treatment to work.
- School Vaccinations – Parents also love IceShot because they make doctor’s appointments for the little ones easier and less traumatic. Toss it in your diaper bag or handbag before heading to the doctor’s office with your kiddo or baby when it’s time for general vaccinations, immunizations or flu shots.
- Cosmetic Injections – Believe it or not, plastic surgeons also prefer IceShot. This is mainly because it is a safe, fast-acting and affordable option for topical numbing before administering Botox injections and other cosmetic injections.
- Vitamins & Supplements – If you’re someone who self-administers vitamin injections at home, you’ll definitely appreciate the convenience of IceShot. Simply apply IceShot to the injection site prior to injecting the vitamins and then store the device in the freezer to use again.
Ready to experience the power of IceShot? Order your own pain numbing tool today! Trust us … you don’t be disappointed.
It’s that time of year again. Children across the country have excitedly made their way back to the classroom in order to advance their education, but they are also now running the risk of catching head lice from their classmates. If you have ever had a child or known someone with head lice, you may have realized just how difficult it is to remove the pesky nits once and for all. Well, while lice removal was once a tedious process, it is now easier than ever before! Meet our V-Comb Electronic Head Lice Tool and check out the 4 reasons that make it the preferred choice.
100% CHEMICAL FREE LICE REMOVAL
Head lice treatments that use harsh chemicals to kill the tiny nits pose lots of health risks, especially when used on young children. However, our comb thoroughly removes lice without the need for toxic chemicals.
INCREDIBLY GENTLE ON THE SCALP
While other lice combs leave the scalp itchy and irritated, ours doesn’t affect the scalp at all. This is because the stainless steel teeth are rounded and the ergonomically engineered device is equipped with different combing angles that allow you to get close without causing discomfort.
EXTREMELY EASY TO USE COMB
Each one of our lice combs is outfitted with a disposable capture filter that prevents the minuscule pests from remaining in the hair after they are killed.
SAFE FOR THE ENTIRE FAMILY
Since our lice comb doesn’t require the need for additional chemical treatments, is gentle on the scalp and easy to use, it is safe enough for the entire family. It’s also reusable, so you really only need one.
Now that you are aware of what makes our lice comb the BEST choice, it’s time to try it for yourself! It reaches down deep and doesn’t pose any harm. What more could you ask for?
Our patented Smart Diet Scale is a wireless Bluetooth food scale with exclusive 4 sensor technology that can calculate the nutritional value of an entire meal all at once. Smart Diet Scale matches the way people really eat and build their meals. The Smart Diet Scale includes: Smart Diet Scale, four portion control plates, Smart Diet Scale app (available on iOS and Android) with over 550,000 food and restaurant choices.
Smart Diet Scale is Superior Over its Competitors
Quality, Precision, Peace of mind
Design and features
- Patented Technology
- The ability to weigh your entire meal all at once with our patented exclusive four quadrants sensors
- Matches the way people really eat and build their meals
- Quarter inch tempered glass surface
- Virtually Indestructible
- 4 LED readouts which makes weighing and tracking your food much quicker
- Operates on both iOS and Android devices
- One of the world’s largest nutritional database with over 550,000 food choices
- 4 portion control plates that teach you proper portion control sizes which is one of the key elements to maintaining healthy weight
- Superior customer and technical phone support
- 30-day money back guarantee and a full year product defect warranty
COMPATABLE WITH IOS 8.0 AND ABOVE AND ANDROID 4.4 AND ABOVE DEVICES
PATENTED REVOLUTIONARY SMART FOOD SCALE. THE POWER OF BEING ABLE TO WEIGH FOUR ITEMS AT ONCE, IN ONE CONNECTED SOLUTION.
The Smart Diet Scale software has:
- One of the worlds largest nutritional food databases
- Over 550,000 food options
- 440,000 grocery items with UPC codes
- 106,000 restaurant items
- Kept Tracks of your daily, weekly, monthly meals, goals and more!
- Stores up to six individual users
Our Smart Diet software is invaluable when you consider that dieters who track their food intake are twice as likely to achieve and maintain their weight loss goals. Over 70 million people use nutritional food apps, but without knowing the precise weight of the food being consumed, this information is less accurate. The Smart Diet Scale takes care of that problem. The groundbreaking Smart Diet Scale is simple, fast, and effective.
WEIGHT LOSS OR MAINTENANCE
You can now measure the daily calorie intake of every single meal in order for you to achieve your goal of losing 2 to 4 pounds a week or maintaining your current healthy weight.
Diabetics can now measure the amount sugar and carbs in their meals. Similarly, they can use our database to research the best low glycemic foods.
ATHLETE OR BODYBUILDER
Bodybuilders can use the Smart Diet Scale to build muscle and lose fat by measuring the amount of protein and calories in their meals.
This Sleeptember, Buy a SoClean and Better Rest Solutions Will Donate $5 to the American Sleep Apnea Association!September 8th, 2015
For the entire month of September, Better Rest Solutions is pledging to donate $5 to the American Sleep Apnea Association for each SoClean purchased during this time period.
Better Rest Solutions is doing this in support of the ASAA’s Sleeptember campaign. This annual initiative was designed to create greater conversations about healthy sleep, to raise the awareness of the risks of untreated sleep disorders like sleep apnea and to inspire individuals to take healthy actions. Donations to the ASAA go toward enhancing the lives of those with sleep apnea.
Those of you who use CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) therapy to treat your sleep apnea know that CPAP manufacturers recommend cleaning your CPAP equipment regularly to prevent the buildup of mold, bacteria and viruses. Unfortunately, this task can be time-consuming and monotonous, and is often neglected, causing CPAP users to suffer the consequences.
The SoClean Automated CPAP Equipment Cleaner was created to make the cleaning process much easier and more effective. In fact, it’s as easy as putting your mask inside the SoClean and closing the lid. No disassembly, no water and no messy chemicals required. The SoClean destroys 99.9% of CPAP germs using the same proven sanitizing process found in water purification and produce handling.
If any of the following apply to you, Sleeptember is the perfect opportunity to purchase a SoClean…
- You’ve been suffering from sinus infections or other illnesses since beginning CPAP therapy
- You’re a CPAP user looking for a simpler, more effective way to clean your equipment
- You own a SoClean already and love it so much that you want to gift it to a friend or family member
- You like getting ahead on your holiday shopping
Click here to buy a SoClean today!